This is a fun project that makes a gift card holder in the shape of a handbag. Super cute and way more interesting than those gift card boxes you buy at the store.
Step #1: Gather your materials. I chose to use solid color embossed card stock for the body of my bag. For the flap I like to use double-sided cardstock to give the handbag a complementary “lining.”
2) You will have to resize the pattern below to fit a sheet of 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper. Print out the enlarged pattern and cut out your pieces. In addition, cut two narrow strips that measure 1/4″ x 5″ for your bag handles.
3) Fold the handbag body in half on the fold line. Fold the flap on the fold line and glue it to the back of the handbag as shown.
4) Glue the tab to the inside of the flap. The flat edge should touch the edge of the handbag body. Glue it only at the base so that the tab remains loose.
5) You need some way to make a hole for the flap to slide into. I cut mine with a Fiskars tag punch. Or you could make a slit with a knife. However you make your hole/slit, it needs to be centered and approximately 1″ from the top edge of the bag. If you use a tag punch, save the piece you cut out to use as a decorative “buckle” on the handle.
6) Run a line of glue along the inside bottom and outside edge of each triangle piece and glue the two pieces into place to form a pocket as shown. This is where you will place your gift card.
7) On the outside of your bag, glue a paper button or any other embellishments you wish to use.
8) To make the strap, glue each of the narrow strips to each inside corner of the bag as shown. At this point, set the bag aside until all of the glue dries.
9) When dry, glue the two ends of the handles together. If you like, glue on the piece that was cut out for the flap to make a decorative buckle. Clamp the handle with a binder clip to hold it until the glue dries. When dry, I put some small folds at the base of the handles to make it hang straight.
Place your card inside, engage the flap and your handbag gift is ready to give!
The pattern needs to be cut and pasted into a word or graphics document and then re-sized to fit an 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet of paper. In addition, you will need to cut two strips 1/4″ x 5″ to form the handles.